Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm back from Quiltfest!

...With a fresh perspective on so many things.

First, an explanation: Quiltfest takes place every year in Jonesborough, Tennesee which is Tennessee's oldest town. It's up in the most northeastern corner of the state. Tennessee Quilts runs it every July.

There's the work room in my aunt's home. We're all stewing over a one-block wonder variation. Or teasing someone, no doubt.

My aunt lives there on a gorgeous lake with a steady breeze and a double decker dock. Assorted members of my extended family converge there for uninterrupted quilting time with other hilarious, funny gals. This year there were 10 of us across 4 generations!

There was lots of laughter, midnight swimming, cooking, eating, sewing, critiquing and trading fabric. Cause if you don't have the right fabric, your neighbor probably does. And if not, you must travel to Tennessee Quilts! We went every single day. And did I mention the eating?








We exchanged our round robin blocks from this year. It was so fun! We all made strips 36 inches wide with one fabric in common, then gave each person one for their own quilt. See my circles there? And we showed our tops off--from last year's round-robin exchange.














My mom, my cuz Kim from NYC, my cuz in-law Jessica currently from Germany, and I all took a class from famed art quilter Jane Sassaman. I'll post more on that in the next couple of days.

Here are my photos from the week. And I'll be posting about our fabulous class and the quilting technique that swept us all up by the end of the week.

It was the most magical time with my favorite gals ever. We really have a special thing going on. And we're all different ages and different parts of the family, but we have no problems getting along whatsoever. It's just utopia in family and fabric, and food!

Posted by Beth Howard @ 7:53 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I'm completely speechless! My boyfriend spent a week in Jonesboro (during a 4th of July- small town parade included!) and has talked about it constantly since we moved here. 9 years and we have still not been. I'll show him these photos + perhaps our next excursion will be to Washington Co.

Posted by Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press @ 8:52 AM #
 

beth, I am so envious and in awe of your beautiful tradition! your week/long weekend sounds so perfect and fun and...wonderful. especially now that I'm getting into quilting too it just blows my mind. not only that, but how much will you absolutely cherish all those quilt pieces and finished quilts down the road??

ack! I must start new tradition with my family. haha.

seriously, gorgeous quilt pieces, blocks and family!

.xo. Jenn

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 11:49 AM #
 

i always mean to attend quiltfest, since i live in JC, but somehow i don't. what are your favorite classes/teachers at quiltfest?

Posted by Blogger Rebecca @ 2:26 PM #
 
<< Home