Sunday, October 18, 2009

What I Did Last Summer



This is the post where I admit that I can't do everything. I should have spent all the time in my class learning to do at least ONE decent mug, as opposed to thousands of crappy items. I had almost gotten the plate thing down at the end.

Considering how much time I spent obsessed with YouTube videos of pottery throwing this summer, you would think I might have learned at least how to make a decent mug. Maybe not.

This is a decent pitcher, but for the atrocious handle.

I'm afraid that my new brother-in-law will find this cake plate so hideous that he won't let my sister bring it into the house. Hey, when you're glazing, you just dip your precious pot in a bucket and pray for the best. Sort of like finding a boyfriend.




I actually kind of like this cake plate below. When we were carrying all the pieces out of the studio, Jason said "would you cry if I dropped all of these?" I said "If it comes down to your face, or that floweredy cake plate, you better save the plate. The rest I don't care about."


My attempt to be the fabulous Whitney Smith whose work I love but cannot afford.



And what the crap is this? I didn't even think it was worth glazing. Now I don't know what to do with it.

As for the pottery: super super fun, but I'm going to stick with what I do best...now if I can just find the post-it note where I wrote exactly what it is that I do best.

Posted by Beth Snyder @ 9:18 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I can't tell you how many attempts at potter I have made. I'm resigned to the fact that others do it much better + I will buy theirs. Oh, I had dreams of making all my plates, bowls + coffee mugs...Oh, I had dreams.

Stay warm my friend

Posted by Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press @ 10:16 AM #
 

Well I think we take away something from each one these efforts, whether its learning a little more about color or texture or just being courageous in tackling something new!

Posted by Blogger mascanlon @ 9:16 PM #
 

These don't look that bad in photos but I hear ya. I am absolutely terrible at pottery and I can pretty much handle any other art class you can throw at me. The pottery wheel is not my friend.

Posted by Blogger freshie (and zero) @ 11:33 AM #
 
<< Home