Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Potato Soup



You know that Autumn is coming for the following reasons: it's soooo hard to get up in the cool, dark morning. The leaves and grass, although still green, just seem to have a little more color. I bought my first (and I swear my last) bag of candy pumpkins at Walgreens on a whim last week.

After a long, fun, but exhausting weekend, we decided on soup on Sunday night. My mom has a great recipe for Cheesy potato soup. I have it too, but I'm not so good on the replication. Hers just has a special umphh that I can't seem to achieve. Therefore, everytime he requests it, Jason says "But will you make it like your mom does?" I always say yes, but I know good and well that I can't replicate the cheesy goodness.

Still, this batch was pretty darn close. I used small new potatoes from my Aunt Jackie and I let the mixture simmer for an hour or so.



Saute an onion and 2 ribs of celery (and maybe a little tiny bit of bacon. Do not tell my mother) in a couple of teaspoons of butter in a large stock pot.



Add about 4 cups of milk--I used skim and it was great!
I also added a teaspoon of salt and a generous sprinkling of black pepper.
Add 4 chicken boullion cubes and let this mixture simmer and boil for quite a while. It can even be unattended.



Next, cube up about 4 cups or more of potatoes. I would go for more. Like use 5 large potatoes or so. Cover with water in a microwaveable bowl and microwave in batches of 5 minutes or so until tender to a forking.


Add 5-6 slices of cheese. I used American because it melts better, but you might experiment if you have a husband who is more open to interpretation than mine is.

Add the potatoes and simmer for a while, or eat immediately.


It's DARN good. And really not too fat-laden. Over the multiple serving this makes, there's not much butter, maybe a slice of cheese, and skim milk.

I think I may have mastered the recipe.

Perhaps this is the culprit of my past poor soups: I did not write down the recipe. Seriously? What does any of this mean? I am too ashamed to call my mom YET AGAIN for the real recipe.


Isn't it sad that with the popularity of my recipe cards, I only have my own recipes on these cards? I'm slowly converting. Slowly. I'll have to get the real recipe for potato soup before I transfer this one.



Our dear friend Jenn made us these potholders in our house colors as a housewarming gift. I love a handmade gift like no other! And I hardly ever get them, so these were extra special. They're really thick and soft. Luxurious potholders! Everyone should have them!!

Labels: ,

Posted by Beth Howard @ 7:03 AM

Read or Post a Comment

This looks so good and as you noted not to full of fat and cheese. My other recipe starts with butter and half and half! I'll give this version a try for sure.

Posted by Blogger mascanlon @ 8:04 PM #
 

Jenn is a talented gal!

Must be in the air, soup on the first day of fall, I did the same thing but mine was veggie (from the garden) white bean + vegan sausage. I love soup months because it makes making dinner so much easier, quicker + economical.

Posted by Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press @ 10:03 AM #
 

OK, two things.
1) Shona what the heck is vegan sausage?
and
2) I wonder if your mom cooks the potatoes in the milky broth? the starch from the tater broth makes the soup thick, do you use it?

I also use Soy milk and that is yummy too

regardless it looks delicious!
and btw, you can make broccoli cheese or cauliflower cheese soup in the very same way.

Posted by Blogger hezza @ 1:39 PM #
 

As another Jean Howard disciple, I can tell you what I do: I cook the potatoes in just enough water to cover them. Then I dump the cheese sauce into it. Then I let it cook a little longer. I used to use more water, but then I'd have to let it boil down for longer (not an option for this hungry girl). It's a lot easier to add more water.

I also add a bouillon cube to the potatoes. I don't really know why, but I am convinced it is necessary.

As soon as my husband thinks there is a possibility of me making this soup for him, the backrubs and sweet talking starts. It is a very good recipe.

Posted by Blogger My Pal Al @ 3:09 PM #
 

All the Howard girls combined with the force of every internet recipe and the milk from God's boob will never be able to match Jean Howard's potato soup!

It has been written! It is law!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 11:14 PM #
 
<< Home