Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Just a little quilt project--FREEZER PAPER APPLIQUE



This is a little quilt project called IMPROVISATION. The first non-scripted, non-deadline oriented project I've done in literally 9 months. It felt great just to know that I had the head space and the calendar space to start a really big project.


And it's coming right along! I piece the back tonight and am well on my way to quilting.
I used the freezer paper piecing method for machine applique--meaning this:
1)I drew the pattern on freezer paper
2) ironed it to the wrong side of the fabric
3) cut a 1/4 inch seam allowance outside the edge of freezer paper
4) cut tiny slits perpendicular to this edge.
5) used a washable glue stick to fold this edge cleanly to the edge of the freezer paper
6) pin to background fabric
7) stitch onto background using a blind hem stitch or similar
9) Turn onto back side of fabric and cut out excess backing, then tear away freezer paper (helps to wet it first!)
10) press and you're good to go!


I have more detailed instructions in this tutorial for perfect circles, but you can do almost any shape!

Labels: ,

Posted by Beth Howard @ 6:31 AM