Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year


And the weather was awesome last night. It's amazing how much more snow and actual winter weather they get just a few hours north of Nashville. One of my friends mentioned to me how much Missourians are ob sessed with weather. It's because it's not unusual to have the temp change 30 degrees in a day and go from 60 and sunny to 30 and so icy you can't get out of the house fro 3 days!

The snow falling last night was so beautiful--huge flakes blustering around everywhere. Hopefully it won't stop us from going to my grandmother's for a Christmas celebration today. And I'm going to pick Jason up from the airport in St. Louis.



I just love Christmas. I'm really excited about the gifts I gave everyone. Let it be said, though: i HATE wrapping presents. I mean hate it. Doesn't that seem really counterintuitive on my part? It's the 5 seconds of fun before someone rips it to shreds that really bothers me. And I feel like I should at least try to make them pretty since that's just the kind of girl I am. I just try for cute paper, all one kind, a nice ribbon, and this year a tag from Amy at Angry Chicken. What a grand idea!


My favorite gift idea is the stocking stuffer for my Dad's family: Spice based dip mixes! I put them in these little Ikea Jars with the recipe. Believe it or not, I got the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. If you haven't read that mag in a while, you should check it out. They have some really great things in there and are slightly more practical than Martha.

Here are the spice mix recipes that I used:

Mediterranean Dip: (one recipe for each jar)
1 Tbsp. Dried Lemon Peel
1 Tbsp. Sweet Basil Leaves
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Coarsely Ground Sea Salt.

Pesto Dip:
2 Tbsp. Basil leaves
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. Toasted Pine Nuts
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp. Coarsely Ground Sea Salt.


On the label for the jars write: Mix with one cup dairy sour cream. Set for 5 minutes and serve.
And here is the tag I used--adapted from Amy's tags.

I have some really fun projects lined up for the week--and actual time to blog! Hooray!

Posted by Beth Howard @ 8:05 AM

Read or Post a Comment

What? blog on vacation? I thought you would take a break (hehe). My boyfriend's brother is meeting us in Memphis from St. Louis, I guess running away from snow? And I actually LOVE wrapping gifts. I used to organize massive gift wrapping sessions for a companiy I worked for that sent out thousands of client gifts.
Merry Christmas, I'll see you when you get back.

Posted by Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press @ 10:45 AM #
 

Wow! Your Pesto dip looks like such an awesome gift. Although I missed out for this year, this would be a wonderful addition to my homemade gifts next year. Do you happen to know which issue of Better Homes & Gardens that you found those recipes in?!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:42 PM #
 

Thanks! The recipes came from the Dec. 2007 issue of BH&Gs. They went together so super easily. And I saw some great spice jars at Crate and Barrel and World Market for about $1 each. Good luck!

Posted by Blogger Beth Howard @ 10:15 PM #
 
<< Home