Monday, August 06, 2007

Back to School


Okay everyone, if you've ever wanted to learn the basics of sewing, now is your chance. So many of you have written or spoken to me and said the following: "I have a sewing machine, but it's never been out of the box/I'm scared of it/I have no idea how to use it/I'm just a huge weenie.

Starting September 14th, on Wednesday nights you can be with me, fearlessly learning how to sew the practical way, not the "let's cut out this pattern and sew it only by reading the instructions way"

Here is the line up for projects, subject to change depending on what the students would like:

Class 1: Intro and Machine Basics
Supply list, discussion of materials and sources for them, testing students on their machines. I'll bring fabric to test machines and make sure everyone is ready to go for class 2.

Class 2: Cafe Curtains
Techniques: basic stitching and assembly, piping, topstitching, measuring and materials for practical use

Class 3: The Basic Tote
Techniques: basics of forms, corners, bias tape and construction, pockets, button holes

Class 4: CD Box -- a square fabric box with handles
Techniques: construction of sturdy forms using heavy interfacing, lessons on handles, shape and box corners, finishing.

Class 5: Stylish Basics--that extra detail that makes a project personal!
Techniques: 3D flowers, yo-yos, applique of shapes, decorative stitching

Class 6: Zippered pouch
Techniques--zippers, lining and pocket basics, shaping, finishing details.
We'll also finish up any loose ends.


I'll also be teaching a purse-making workshop, if the 6-week class is out of your schedule. It's scheduled for October 20th, and also on the Watkins website.


It's going to be a blast! And I swear I'm not a nazi teacher. Although I do want people to listen when giving instructions, because I hate to repeat myself!

Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions, and go to Watkins College website to sign up ASAP.

Posted by Beth Howard @ 8:44 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I want to take that class so bad!! I'll have to see if I can gather the money together in the next few weeks! either way, I think it's great and we definitely need to have a sewing Saturday soon!

.xo. Jenn

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 3:40 PM #
 
<< Home