Friday, November 03, 2006

My treat for you


This is the best book I've ever read on creativity and the artistic process. Even though Twyla is a dancer, she really knows her stuff about how to tap into creativity. About how it's work, and you can't just sit around on your arse and expect to spit brilliant creative work. She says you have to develop a routine, to input as much info into your head as you can, in order to have a well to draw from when you're ready to create.

I mostly love how she talks about work. I think a lot of people think artists have a relaxing way of life and laze about all day, only to charge astronomical prices for their work. Twyla is from the school of hard work. And you better believe I'm a subscriber. My farming ancestors wouldn't have it any other way. And really, I'm never happier than when I'm busting ass for a project I love. Even if I don't love it in the end, it's the process of making something that puts me in that place. I think that's why I go for really labor intensive stuff. I have much more attachment to the time I spent creating a piece than i do to the end piece. Which is convenient to someone who sells their work, I guess.

I'll be out of town this weekend visiting ailing grandparents. I'll tell Missouri y'all said "hi"!!

Posted by Beth Howard @ 9:27 AM